Social Networking Solution for Wireless Communications Provider, Using Agile Methodologies
An advanced mobile service carrier that provides innovative media devices, this client has been recognized and awarded for being one of the first companies to create a variety of social applications for users. With cutting-edge technology, the company has recently partnered up and serves more than 5 million customers across the U.S.
The client was looking to assemble a team, which working under the Agile Software Development concept, could easily adapt to its processes and work on the creation of social applications that interface its mobile devices with YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, and the likes. At the beginning the challenge was getting up to speed with the technology stack required (Java, open source and other emerging technologies).
The Solution by Softtek
After assessing the client’s background, its needs, and plausible outcomes, Softtek managed to create a self-organized team with the right blend of skills and seniority which started developing the solution from one of Softtek’s nearshore GDC’s, providing the cost benefits inherent to a global delivery model, while using Agile methodologies which are rarely used in a remote-team configuration, due to the high degree of collaboration and the large number of iterations needed in an Agile engagement. This quickly evolved into a managed service, by which the nearshore team took ownership of some projects. Softtek began developing applications and is currently doing QA to cover end-to-end, automation, performance, stress, system, fail over, security and other types of testing.
The initial solution required:
- 30,000 man-hours
- Java Multi-Threading/Networking/Socket Programming, REST Web Services, WAP/WML/XHTML, Async Web, SOA and ESB, Java JMX, JVM Tuning, Image/Video Manipulation, J2ME, Web 2.0, Profiling and testing open source tools
- Product for Market type application (MySpace, YouTube, HSE, Connect)
- Ramping up an engineering team
- Agile, feature-driven development, and continuous integration methodologies
- A strong focus on productivity and customer satisfaction
- The solution greatly contributed to a $6 million of increased revenue through 2008
- Applications developed by Softtek were included in the launch of a newly-released “next-generation” cellular device
- A 30%+ cost reduction in its product testing execution and product development
- Guarantee to meet time-to-market deadlines, due to capacity created through Softtek for its product testing and development
- More flexibility in its resource allocation plan through the Center of Excellence created in Softtek’s GDC in Baja Users enjoy applications with richer client functionality from their mobile devices
- Integration of disparate data sources (i.e. rss feeds)
- Easy-to-use interface
Founded in 1982, Softtek is a global provider of IT and business process solutions with over 6,000 associates across 30 offices in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia. With eight Global Delivery Centers in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and China, Softtek provides in-depth, high-quality and cost-effective solutions to top-tier corporations in over 20 countries through on-site, on-shore and its trademarked Near Shore® service delivery models. Creator and leader of the Near Shore® Industry, Softtek is the largest private IT service provider in Latin America. For more information, visit the Company’s Web site at www.softtek.com.
Copyright Softtek Integration Systems, Inc. 2001-2009. All Rights Reserved. Softtek, the Softtek logo, Near Shore® and other Softtek products and services mentioned herein are registered trademarks of Softtek Integration Systems, Inc. in USA, Mexico and several other countries. Global Nearshore™: Trademark Registration Pending.