Software Quality Assurance for the Insurance Industry
A cost efficient model to increase quality of business applications
A Fortune 500, leading global financial Company offering businesses, individuals and institutional Clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement and investment services, life and health insurance and banking through a diverse family of financial services companies.
The Client has $270.1 billion in assets under management and serves some 18.2 million customers worldwide from offices in 11 countries throughout Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States.
As part of their competitiveness strategy, the Client needed to reduce IT services costs while improving the overall quality of their applications, minimize the failures in production that hampered their brokers and agencies operations, as well as find a way to assure that all new applications did not have quality issues. The QA culture in the Company was not fully integrated across the business and IT areas, and considering the competitive landscape, the Company had little time to evolve their current products, release new ones, as well as be compliant in a highly regulated industry. In addition, due to the dynamism of the environment, the organization was under constant change, thus making a remote work model less feasible, since due to market pressure, cycle times needed to be reduced not extended.
The Firm needed to set up a Testing Centre that would let them:
- Increase the reliability of their IT applications to do business.
- Adapt to constant change to keep them as leaders in the insurance market.
- Constantly renovate and migrate efforts to support a Company-wide QA culture which was being deployed.
- Effectively respond to the immediate demands of specific strategic insurance business initiatives for Health, Disabilities, Policies, Claims, Benefits, Marketer Services (Logistics and Distribution Channels) and SOX Compliance.
The Solution by Softtek
Softtek defined, tailored and implemented a Dedicated Testing Centre to serve all the QA and testing needs across different businesses and groups from Softtek’s Near Shore® Delivery Centres in Mexico.
This initiative included a complex Knowledge Management Process and on going maintenance, as well as the development of new products and services for the Customer.
As part of Softtek’s Test Plan and Strategy, an inclusive methodology of QA was implemented, providing mentoring to the Client’s test leads and managers. Also, change management mechanisms were facilitated by high interaction and real time communication.
The project comprises a team of 50 people, that supports 10 Global Applications, with a steady flow of 1 or 2 modules per application at a time, plus Individual projects which run between 3,000 to 5,000 men/hours each.
- Overall management of quality of applications.
- Significant cost reduction rate due to defect prevention and sustainable production support.
- The Client was able to refocus on delivering value to the business through IT, thanks to higher quality business applications which released valuable resources for new developments.
- Improvement of their release cycles for new or renovated products as well as their quality levels.
- Softtek implemented a solid documentation policy facilitating future Knowledge Transfer capability.
- Support the deployment of best practices in QA and test projects and standardization of these best practices.
- Enable more mature analysis and design capability due to participation of QA.
The Voice of the Customer
“… I think things are really shaping up nicely and I have received comments from senior leadership recognizing that QA tasks seem to be running very smoothly. The whole testing team gets credit for that. Thanks”
“I just want to thank the both of you for working so hard on this project. You’ve done an awesome job. Although it’s not complete, I feel the first phase was very successful and we couldn’t have done it without your hard work and dedication. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!”
Founded in 1982, Softtek is a global provider of IT and business process solutions with over 6,000 associates across 30 offices in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia. With eight Global Delivery Centers in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and China, Softtek provides in-depth, high-quality and cost-effective solutions to top-tier corporations in over 20 countries through on-site, on-shore and its trademarked Near Shore® service delivery models. Creator and leader of the Near Shore® Industry, Softtek is the largest private IT service provider in Latin America. For more information, visit the Company’s Web site at www.softtek.com.
Copyright Softtek Integration Systems, Inc. 2001-2009. All Rights Reserved. Softtek, the Softtek logo, Near Shore® and other Softtek products and services mentioned herein are registered trademarks of Softtek Integration Systems, Inc. in USA, Mexico and several other countries. Global Nearshore™: Trademark Registration Pending.