Testing Services for the Software Industry
Improving time-to-market and quality through a cost-efficient testing solution
A world leading developer and provider of systems, software, services, and solutions which enable its customers to store, protect, optimize, and leverage their information assets.
With revenues of over $11 billion, the Company is a component of the S&P 500, and is represented by more than 100 sales offices and distribution partners in over 50 countries, employing more than 30,000 people.
With an industry evolving rapidly and competition releasing new and more manageable devices with larger capacity (almost doubling every year), the challenge to release more products faster became a critical part of the overall market plan.
In addition to that, the Firm needed to keep supporting past versions and upgrading their software accordingly, which made the quality assurance and overall product release a critical component of their business cycle.
Softtek suggested the implementation of a suited testing framework that would enable the Client to:
- Make the QA process more efficient; to get the product faster to market with no defects.
- Market faster high quality - highly differentiated software for storage solutions.
- Develop an efficient Knowledge Transfer process, a critical component, considering the complexity of the technology, limited availability of resources and lack of documentation.
The Solution by Softtek
Softtek defined and implemented a Testing Framework that included people, processes,
methodology and tools which were made to size for the Client’s needs. The framework provides a fully automated regression test team, which would fit into their product development life cycle and test over multiple platforms and versions in early phases of the development lifecycle. Also, it brings a mature test strategy for their products, assuring defect detection rates of 99% or more.
Softtek developed an internal and self sufficient Knowledge Transfer strategy program specialized on massive storage devices and drivers knowledge; provided the Near Shore® model through which the team can dynamically be on site and Nearshore when needed.
The project comprises a team of 14 people, and a local test laboratory at Softtek’s facilities in Mexico which included the Client’s manufactured hardware and software components.
- The solution, which addressed the first tier of the multi-tier QA strategy implemented by the Client, made the phase managed by Softtek the most effective QA stage, detecting the majority of the defects in the early stages of the product life cycle, thus improving the end product.
- A high defect discovery rate in the early stages of the lifecycle, makes a tremendous impact in the cost of product support for this Client. The earlier the defects are discovered, the higher the cost savings.
- Since the solution was implemented, the Client has not reported severe defects released into the final phase, nor to the market versions of its products.
- Ability to replicate the Client’s lab in Mexico (Softtek’s Monterrey Global Delivery Centre), which significantly reduced the customer’s indirect costs.
- Overall impact of the testing framework translates into faster time-to-market, a better product, at a lower cost.
- Overall management and outsourcing program has matured faster due to the nature of the Near Shore® model’s interactivity and flexibility.
- Overall customer experience improved for the Client due to high interaction with Softtek.
- Adoption of automation culture across the organization.
- Successfully automated regression tests, which allowed the Client to use its own experts in higher value functions.
The Voice of the Customer
“…. (Softtek’s specialists) have worked very effectively as part of the team completing a set of complex tests allowing our Company to meet a very aggressive feature delivery schedule to QA.
Due to their efforts, we achieved this milestone which allows the Company engineering to target a Q3 release date for a product that will generate significant revenue for The Firm.”
Founded in 1982, Softtek is a global provider of IT and business process solutions with over 6,000 associates across 30 offices in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia. With eight Global Delivery Centers in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and China, Softtek provides in-depth, high-quality and cost-effective solutions to top-tier corporations in over 20 countries through on-site, on-shore and its trademarked Near Shore® service delivery models. Creator and leader of the Near Shore® Industry, Softtek is the largest private IT service provider in Latin America. For more information, visit the Company’s Web site at www.softtek.com.
Copyright Softtek Integration Systems, Inc. 2001-2009. All Rights Reserved. Softtek, the Softtek logo, Near Shore® and other Softtek products and services mentioned herein are registered trademarks of Softtek Integration Systems, Inc. in USA, Mexico and several other countries. Global Nearshore™: Trademark Registration Pending.